So, tomorrow eeeearrrrly (ok, not that early for normal people, but early for folks like me who always get up at 7:30 or 8 and don’t like to use an alarm), I’ll be on my way to New York City for BlogHer ’10. This is my second time going, so theoretically, I totally know what I’m doing. The empty suitcase on my bed tells me I’m a bit less of an expert than I think I am.
Anyway, I know a lot of amazing people will be there, and I’d totally like to meet you! So, here’s a fairly recent picture of me. I’ll probably look just like this — I’ll wear my hair in a braid a couple of times, it’s likely I’ll be a little sweaty, and I’m totally bringing that shirt. So, if you see me, please come say hi!
For those of you who I’ll be meeting for the first time (and maybe also rooming with — hi, Roxanna!), here are a few things about me. Because, well, I can always talk about me. I’m kind of an expert on the topic.
- I’m not much of a hugger. If I know you well (IRL or online), have had a bit to drink, or have just experienced something emotional, I might be comfortable hugging you. But if I don’t hug you, don’t be offended. It’s just not my thing.
- I love to dance. Seriously, if you want someone out on the dance floor with you, as long as I’m not in some deep conversation or just refilled a super-spillable martini glass, I’m your girl.
- Let’s eat. I don’t eat meat (though I do eat seafood), but I love love love to eat. In fact, I totally want to squeeze in this food tour. Any takers? In particular, I love Mexican and pizza, but I also really enjoy sushi and Thai food, and I rarely say no to Indian food. And I’m totally looking forward to good New York bagels.
- I don’t want to share my drink. And not just because I’m a boozehound. If you ask for a sip of my water/margarita/absinthe, please don’t think I’m an ass if I a) say no or b) say yes and then tell you to go ahead and finish it. I have a thing about drinking after people, especially if there’s lipstick or gloss or OH MY GOD I’M ACTUALLY SHAKING FROM PICTURING THIS GROOOOSSSSSSSS. So, yeah, it’s definitely not you. It’s very much me. Sorry about that.
- I’m not quite comfortable in the city. I’m seriously, completely excited to go to New York, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little apprehensive. Walking a few blocks to the subway to get somewhere is probably totally normal for you, but it’s a little scary for me. Please don’t poke fun.
- I might not know who you are. But I don’t expect anybody to know who I am in person, either. If I know you from the internet, I probably have a picture of you in my head. It might look like your Twitter avatar, it might look like a picture from your blog, or it might look like Wilma Flintstone for no reason whatsoever. But whether I recognize you or not, I swear I am excited to meet you.
- I might burp. I don’t mean to, but sometimes, it just happens. I apologize in advance.
- Things I like: Chardonnay, vodka tonic, cute animal pictures (who doesn’t?), funny stories. I also really like TV — I absolutely love Chuck, but other current favorites are Burn Notice, White Collar (yes, I’m into the spy thing these days), Psych, Law & Order (any and all), Glee, House Hunters International (I mean, regular House Hunters is okay, but watching that after International is kind of like going back to straight, black coffee after you’ve had delicious french vanilla coffee with a bit of cream, you know?). And I would love to know what books you’re reading, although I haven’t read too many recently.
So, will I see you there?